Thursday 5 June 2014

Ginger Spice Cake (Koek)

Hello there - my first non-crafty post ☺
If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I love to share my baking and cooking.  Over the past year, I've developed a bigger interest in food, especially healthy and wholesome food.  I spend a lot of time in my kitchen, preparing and making food that our bodies will love and that I know is good for my family.
I believe in a wholefood diet - one that incorporates fresh, local food and if possible organic.  I like to know where my food comes from and therefore support local suppliers in my area.
Since finding out that I'm sensitive to gluten, I choose not to include this in my food.  I also eliminate foods that have preservatives and additives. This means that I make a lot of homemade food and goodies!

I really enjoying baking cakes and treats: I have little books and notepads, recipe books that date back ........ I've kept all of these; they hold some of my favourite recipes, even those that have been passed on to me by family members.  As most of these recipes include ingredients that I no longer use, I've been converting them to the ingredients that are in my pantry and what I consider, a healthier option.

These baking treats are 'taste tested' by my wonderful family, who always appreciate 'home-baked' goodness in their lunch boxes each day.
 


So here goes my first recipe that I would like to share.  It's based on a 'koek' recipe which I've called: Ginger Spice Cake. (Koek is a traditional dutch loaf cake)


Ginger Spice Cake

Ingredients & Method
1 cup full fat milk (organic)
1/2 cup rapadura sugar *
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup raw honey *
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger *
1/4 cup sultanas

Heat all of the above ingredients in a saucepan til they are warmed through.
For Thermomix: 90 degrees, 3mins, Sp 1

2 eggs (free-range)
1 cup almond meal *
1 cup buckwheat flour *
2 tsp gluten free baking powder

Combine the above ingredients with the warm liquid in a large mixing bowl.
Mix together til combined.
For Thermomix: Add the above ingredients to TM bowl and mix on Sp 5 approx 10 sec, til combined.

Pour into a large lined loaf tin (or two smaller tins) and bake in 180 degree oven approx 45 mins or until cooked through.

Enjoy with butter and a cuppa☺


* rapadura is an un-refined sugar - you can also use raw sugar
* honey can be replaced with golden syrup 
* you can also use ground ginger
* if you have a Thermomix, you can mill raw almonds to make your own almond meal
* buckwheat flour is available from health food stores


You can vary this recipe by adding in more sultanas and adjusting/adding more spice to your liking ☺
 This will last nicely for a few days in an air-tight container. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe - let me know if you make it and what you think ☺  We all enjoy this one very much, as a yummy treat.
If you would like to follow me on Instagram - my name is chan4boys
I also have a Facebook page:  Creative-ness.around my home

Creating with love and happiness  ♥

4 comments:

Lizzyc said...

Thank you! I was diagnosed as coeliac 12 years ago so I am always on the look out for tried and tested recipes and this looks yummy.. I will print out your recipe and try it!!

Lizzy Hill said...

Looks yummy - these days with just Darby & Jane at home [well, Lizzy & Tom!!] I don't cook. Which is a shame - but that's the circle of life. Doesn't stop me looking & enjoying, though....lovely photos of your yummy cake, too:):)

mytawnyinspirations said...

Hi! Will be trying this one as I too have coeliacs and love to cook. I'm pleased fresh ginger can be used because I've got a large clump growing well, and have been on the lookout for recipes like this. Looks delish! Cheers, Di

Janice Nicholls said...

Yum...that cake looks delish.
Thanks Chantelle for your lovely comment on my blog...I am thrilled for my Mum....she will be 77 this years and enjoys her scrapping....I submitted it for her as she doesn't have her own blog. I am lucky that we share the same interests so we often scrap together or chat about scrapping...she is a big inspiration to me.
Have a fabulous weekend. x

school @ home

Hello, I definitely wanted to record this little moment!  School @ home due to stay at home restrictions because of COVID-19.  It was certai...